Iranian Model Mahlagha Jaberi at Cannes 2023: The Cannes Film Festival witnessed a powerful statement against executions in Iran, as an Iranian model boldly expressed her protest. Amidst the festival’s glitz and glamour, model Mahlagha Jaberi made a striking appearance, wearing a black bodycon dress with straps resembling a noose around her neck. The lower part of the dress bore a strong message against executions, stating “Stop execution,” designed by Jila Sabre.
Iranian Model Mahlagha Jaberi at Cannes 2023:
On the red carpet, Jaberi’s dress and its impactful quote captured global attention. She shared a video montage of herself wearing the outfit along with the statement “Stop execution,” dedicating it to the people of Iran. In her social media post, she expressed gratitude to the dress designer, videographer, and her manager, emphasizing the importance of raising awareness about the dire situation in Iran. The surge in executions within the country has become a grave concern for human rights activists worldwide.
In a report released by Iran Human Rights, it was revealed that Iran executed over 500 individuals in 2022, marking the highest rate in five years. The dire situation poses a significant threat to human rights, with campaigns intensifying to address the issue. The report also highlighted that in 2021, at least 333 people were executed in Iran, of which only 16.5% were officially announced. The remaining 83.5% of executions were undisclosed by authorities. The report further revealed that a majority of the executions were carried out for killing charges (55%).
By using her Trending platform at the Cannes Film Festival, Mahlagha Jaberi bravely drew attention to the urgent need to address the alarming rates of executions in Iran, hoping to inspire change and support human rights causes on a global scale.